Homemade Golden Milk
Magic potions don’t exist, but Golden Milk comes close to being a real miracle drink with its beneficial effects. The special ingredient in Golden Milk is turmeric. Turmeric, also called curcuma or yellowroot, has numerous health benefits.
It is extracted from a ginger-like plant and mostly used as a powder. In the traditional Indian art of healing Ayurvedva, it is one of the “hot” spices, which are said to have a cleansing and energizing effect.
Modern medicine has also researched various effects:
- The curcumin in turmeric has anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory effects
- It stimulates digestion and supports liver function
- It supports the bones and is said to help with joint problems
- In several studies a cancer-inhibiting effect was also observed
Golden Milk: Turmeric for drinking
Turmeric is a main ingredient of curry powder, it has a spicy and slightly bitter taste. Especially in Indian and Southeast Asian cuisine, the strong yellow powder is often used. Curry for drinking sounds a bit strange, but the other ingredients in Golden Milk create a wonderful drink, its flavors range from sugary sweet to earthy-spicy. A real feel-good drink with a cleansing, warming effect.
How to make homemade Golden Milk
As a basic ingredient for golden milk, a turmeric paste is first produced. The advantage is that this keeps in the fridge for two weeks and you always have a Golden Milk base ready. The paste is easy to make.
Ingredients for 1 cup
250 ml Joya Organic Oat Drink
1 tbsp turmeric powder
Approx. 100 ml water
1 tsp vegetable oil, for example, coconut or nut oil
1 tsp agave syrup or honey
1 pinch of pepper
Cinnamon or nutmeg to taste
The pepper contributes to a significantly better intake of curcumin by the body.
- Heat the turmeric powder and water in a small pan, stirring constantly. When a thick paste has formed, remove from the heat. In an airtight container, the paste will keep for several weeks in the fridge.
- Heat the Organic Oat Drink and add a teaspoon of turmeric paste. Stir with a whisk and bring to the boil.
- Add the agave syrup or honey and pepper. Pour into a mug and then add a dash of oil.